Sunday, October 17, 2010

Week 7 - Reason must prevail

I'm so impressed with my colleagues' articulate posts this week! This week's issues - freedom to read, controversial topics in YA literature, Holocaust denial, and the sketchy background of the anatomy atlas - are very visceral in nature. As previously pointed out, these are areas where objective policy based on the long established philosophies of our field can serve well the library's decision-makers and constituents.

As Lori observed, the YouTube videos (in tandem with the docs attached to this week's lecture) were extremely effective in illustrating the evolution of the West Bend controversy. From a personal perspective, I remember when this issue originally arose, and we looked at it in another SLIS class. Never did I think that I would face a similar sort of issue at my library in 2010! It can (and will), I believe, happen to each of us. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a very opinionated and (not always appropriate) vocal person. This week's readings and the videos really affect me both on a gut level and an intellectual level. For others like me (who wear their hearts on their sleeves and may react out of passion), having policies to frame discussion is absolutely essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment