Thursday, September 9, 2010

Introduction

Hello everyone. I apologize for the lateness of my introduction, but I have had some technical and personal difficulties this past week. In any event, here I am, on with the introduction.

My name is David. This will be my last semester in the SLIS program. I hope to find a job as a Children's or Young Adult librarian after graduation.

I've chosen to use my first name here on this blog despite some reservations about my privacy. I suppose my main concern is one outlined by Halavais, in that a prospective employer could stumble across (or search out) a former or current digital self of mine that has expressed a controversial opinion or perhaps just expressed one in a less than artful manner and then that employer may think better of providing me with gainful employment.

However, I believe in standing behind one's opinions and I believe that in using my own name I will have accountability for what I say, much as I would in any other public forum. I also don't plan on outing any elected officials or leaking classified documents this semester, so anonymity should not be required.

I have some undergraduate experience in Philosophy (just short of enough for a degree) so I think this class should be a lot of fun and I am excited to explore some of the ethical dilemmas that Librarians and Information Professionals face with all of you.

1 comment:

  1. We'll be looking forward to your further contributions. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete